- Cut the power and water flow to the water heater. Consider doing this the night before so your stored water has a chance to cool.
- Attach a hose to the drain near the bottom of the water heater. Lead the hose outdoors through a basement door or through a special outlet in your home’s exterior wall. Deposit the water as far from your foundation as possible.
- Release the pressure using the valve on the top of the water heater. Often, this is located near a large bolt and may have a label attached.
- Drain the water. This could take several hours. Once the water is out, detach the hose, and place a large bucket under the drain.
- Change the anode found inside the water heater. Many water heaters have a metal rod inside to prevent corrosion. This is attached with a large bolt on the top of the water heater. Remove it, and you should be able to pull the rod out. Slide a new one into place, and refasten the bolt.
- Turn the water back on to flush out the sediment. Close the drain once the water flows clear. It should take roughly a minute.
- Readjust the pressure value and restore power to the unit. It will take roughly an hour or more for your water heater to be fully functional again, depending on the amount of water it holds.
When Should I Call Someone to Flush Our Water Heater?
Wednesday, January 27, 2016 | Smoak's Comfort Control
Can you handle basic plumbing jobs like flushing out your water heater? For many property owners, the answer is yes. All you need are a few supplies to get the job done right. However, professional plumbers can often flush a system faster and more completely than a novice. Make sure whatever route you take leaves your system secure. A well-maintained water heater will perform reliably for a decade or more.
If you’d like to flush your water heater on your own, follow these simple steps:
Charleston residents can schedule water heater flushes and other plumbing work with Smoak’s Comfort Control. Preserve the life of your unit, and make sure every dollar you spend on heated water is put to its best use. Get in touch for reliable, experienced assistance today.